Re: [xsl] Two recommendations: (1) Call it XSLT "program" (not XSLT "stylesheet"), (2) stop treating XSLT as an acronym

Subject: Re: [xsl] Two recommendations: (1) Call it XSLT "program" (not XSLT "stylesheet"), (2) stop treating XSLT as an acronym
From: Andrew Welch <andrew.j.welch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 22:03:59 +0100
On 22 May 2010 13:12, Costello, Roger L. <costello@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Note: In the following I am just talking about XSLT. I am not talking about
XSL-FO.

> XSLT is a programming language. It is used to create programs. Personally, I
never use XSLT to perform styling. When was the last time you used XSLT to set
a font color or background color? I use CSS to do styling. Thus, I come to my
first recommendation.

> RECOMMENDATION #1
>
> When you write or talk about an XSLT document, call it a program. Don't call
it a stylesheet. For example, say this: "I wrote an XSLT program to
screen-scrape Yahoo Finance." Don't say this: "I wrote an XSLT stylesheet to
screen-scrape Yahoo Finance."

I agree with the don't-call-it-a-stylesheet part, and mentioned this a
while back (seems like yesterday, but its 5 years ago!):

http://xsl.markmail.org/search/?q=stylesheet+misnomer+from%3A%22Andrew+Welch%
22#query:stylesheet%20misnomer%20from%3A%22Andrew%20Welch%22+page:1+mid:alaii
2zor3xzu5jh+state:results

...did you know you can use xsl:transform instead of xsl:stylesheet?

Its way too late now, all you can really do is try and avoid the
"stylehsheet" word yourself (but its harder than you think :)

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com