Re: [xsl] ASPX generation

Subject: Re: [xsl] ASPX generation
From: "Vladimir Nesterovsky" <vladimir@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 01:10:05 -0700
> > What I've lately found is that the "disable-output-escaping" is
deprecated
> > feature according to xslt 2.0, and that the character maps are
recomended
> > substitution. Unfortunately I have no free character to reserve for
this
> > purpose, as it might appear in other contexts.
>
> Vladimir,
>
> That is hard to believe.

Not at all!
The pages I'm generating contain both data bound from business layer, and
static literals.
Values of these static literals are out of my control.
If I shall reserve any character for a purpose of character map then I
should replace those characters in those literals.

The problem could be solvable if character map provided string
substitutions rather than substitution of a single character.
This way one could model escape sequences.

> E.g. you can use any character from the Private Use Area of Unicode for
this. There are 5000+ slots starting with &#xE000;

> In a totally unrelated case I had to preserve certain entities through
XSL processing;
> in a preprocessing step I changed them into PUA characters (using sed)
and used XSLT
> character maps to get back the entities in the result.

I agree that there are ways to workaround the problem.
At present I'm inclined to use approach similar to Liam's Method (1).
I'm just wondering if I'm missing something, if there is a simple
solution?
--
Vladimir Nesterovsky
http://www.nesterovsky-bros.com/