Re: [xsl] break-before="odd-page" at start of flow

Subject: Re: [xsl] break-before="odd-page" at start of flow
From: Brandon Ibach <brandon.ibach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 13:07:35 -0400
Try adding initial-page-number="auto-odd" to your appendix
page-sequences and remove the break-before="odd-page" from the initial
block in each sequence.  FOP seems to handle this better and, in my
mind, anyway, it is a somewhat clearer way to express the desired
layout.

-Brandon :)

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 10:21 AM, Fredrik Bengtsson
<Fredrik.Bengtsson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi, I'm at it again :-)
>
> [And first, on a side note, WOW am I having problems getting e-mail through
to the list using our corporate Outlook - the daemon chokes on BASE64
encoding, multipart/mime, some content types etc etc ... as a consumer of the
list I am happy that the rules are in place but MAN is Outlook making things
hard in complying!]

> Back to the issue at hand. I'm trying to break rendering of appendices into
one page-sequence each for optimization purposes; see the minimal FO file
here:

> http://pastebin.com/52fcwBiA
> (yeah, I didn't manage to attach a file in the regular way, so ...)
>
> The first object in each appendix flow is a block with
break-before="odd-page" since each appendix should start on the right side of
a booklet. The page sequence master specifies distinct blank pages and the
docs clearly state:

>  odd-page:
>  Imposes a break-before condition with a context consisting of odd
page-areas (a blank page may be generated if necessary)

> But a regular even page is generated instead of a blank one. You can see in
the generated PDF that there is a page number at the bottom of the supposedly
blank page when there shouldn't be one. However, if I put a block with an
odd-page break in the SAME sequence/flow as another one, then blanks are
generated properly between them as necessary. So this only happens at the very
start of a flow. I'm using fop trunk.

> Yes, I realize that it is possible to do it the other way around by putting
force-page-count="even" on preceding sequences, but that's no good for two
reasons:
> * It potentially adds extra blank pages at the very end of the document,
which are sent to the printer and everything ...
> * And it forces me to make special-case code in each sequence that may
potentially have an appendix following it, to prepare for the blank pages at
the end, which quickly becomes very messy.