[xsl] Variations in XML to CSV

Subject: [xsl] Variations in XML to CSV
From: Bridger Dyson-Smith <bdysonsmith@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 10:30:04 -0400
Hi all,
thanks for taking a moment to read.

I'm trying to generate a CSV file from XML that looks something like this:

<root>
 <metadata>
   <title>Alpha</title>
   <subject>Sinister</subject>
   <creator>Beta</creator>
   <subject>Gamma</subject>
   <subject>Delta</subject>
   <subject>Epsilon</subject>
   <date>2011-04-19</date>
 </metadata>
 <metadata>
   <title>Zeta</title>
   <creator>Eta</creator>
   <creator>Theta</creator>
   <contributor>Dexter</contributor>
   <contributor>Iota</contributor>
   <subject>Kappa</subject>
   <subject>Lambda</subject>
   <date>2011-04-19</date>
 </metadata>
</root>

I'm at a complete loss. I've been reading (and rereading) examples
from the XSLT Cookbook, but I haven't been able to make the examples
jive with what I'm looking at on my screen. Is this even possible? If
so, would someone mind giving me a push in the right direction?

I've been able to generate a dummy XML file that has a complete set of
all the elements:
<root>
 <metadata>
   <title>Value</title>
   <subject>Value</subject>
   <creator>Value</creator>
   <creator>Value</creator>
   <contributor>Value</contributor>
   <subject>Value</subject>
   <subject>Value</subject>
   <subject>Value</subject>
   <date>Value</date>
 </metadata>
</root>
If I use this to generate a row of column names, I think I can map the
variable elements to their respective columns provided I can get that
aforementioned push. Maybe it needs to be a kick...

Thanks again for reading.
Cheers,
Bridger