Re: [xsl] position last and attributes

Subject: Re: [xsl] position last and attributes
From: Ihe Onwuka <ihe.onwuka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 09:31:47 +0100
On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 9:19 AM, Andrew Welch <andrew.j.welch@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 20 September 2012 08:51, Ihe Onwuka <ihe.onwuka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> thats the genus of the paradox I was referring to.
>
> This is my point and the key bit to get :)
>
> The fact the order of attributes cannot be guaranteed has nothing to
> do with position() and last(), as by the time those functions get to
> be used the order of the node list is known.

My initial post (if you read it again) was to highlight the paradox of
being able to apply ordering semantics to something that is
intrinsically unordered.

By contrast what are/would be (who knows what weird implementations
are out there) the semantics of corresponding constructs within the
context of SQL (absent an order by clause).