Re: [xsl] position last and attributes

Subject: Re: [xsl] position last and attributes
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 16:05:49 -0400
At 2012-09-20 16:01 -0400, John P. McCaskey wrote:
On 9/20/2012 3:23 PM, G. Ken Holman wrote:
. . . I see what you see in that a number of processors appear to put the attributes on the attribute axis in specified order, followed by the unspecified defaulted attributes in declaration order.
So when there is no declaration, then -- even with all the haranguing about what the spec says -- an xsl:for-each or a select="@*[ ]" will take attributes in specified order.

Is that right?

Only by coincidence, not by intention.

I don't raise this with my students, I tell them to write their algorithms with no provision for any assumed order of nodes along the attribute axis (or the namespace axis). I never took the time before to compare processors until this afternoon.

I'll still tell them not to rely on specified order, because they shouldn't.

-- Contact us for world-wide XML consulting and instructor-led training Free 5-hour lecture: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/udemy.htm Crane Softwrights Ltd. http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/ G. Ken Holman mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Google+ profile: https://plus.google.com/116832879756988317389/about Legal business disclaimers: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/legal