Re: [xsl] XPath 3.0: Is it possible to do recursion in an anonymous function?

Subject: Re: [xsl] XPath 3.0: Is it possible to do recursion in an anonymous function?
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 12:51:52 -0700
Boh my previous answers had a slight issue (that didn't prevent Saxon
from executing them and producing the correct result) with the typing
of the "mock" function parameter $f1.

Here is this corrected:

<xsl:stylesheet  version="3.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";
  exclude-result-prefixes="xs">
  <xsl:output method="text"/>

  <xsl:template match="/">
     <xsl:sequence select=
       "let $f := function($n as xs:integer,
                                   $f1 as function(xs:integer,
function()) as xs:integer
                                   ) as xs:integer
                        {if($n eq 0)
                            then 1
                            else $n * $f1($n -1, $f1)
                        }
         return
            $f(5, $f)
       "/>
   </xsl:template>
 </xsl:stylesheet>

Cheers,
Dimitre

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 12:47 PM, Dimitre Novatchev
<dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Here is an equivalent XSLT-based solution -- i both cases there is no
> literal function defined -- just an inline one:
>
> <xsl:stylesheet  version="3.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";
>   xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";
>   exclude-result-prefixes="xs">
>   <xsl:output method="text"/>
>
>   <xsl:template match="/">
>      <xsl:sequence select=
>        "let $f := function($n as xs:integer,
>        $f1 as function(xs:integer) as xs:integer
>        ) as xs:integer
>        {if($n eq 0)
>        then 1
>        else $n * $f1($n -1, $f1)
>        }
>        return
>        $f(5, $f)
>        "/>
>    </xsl:template>
>  </xsl:stylesheet>
>
> Again, the correct result is produced:
>
> 120
>

> Cheers,
> Dimitre
>
> On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 12:37 PM, Dimitre Novatchev
> <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> You are right, but there is an easy workaround.
>>
>> Here is an example with an in-line factorial function:
>>

>> declare option saxon:output "omit-xml-declaration=yes";
>> let $f := function($n as xs:integer,
>>                                  $f1 as function(xs:integer) as xs:integer
>>                                  ) as xs:integer
>>               {if($n eq 0)
>>                    then 1
>>                    else $n * $f1($n -1, $f1)
>>               }
>>    return
>>      $f(5, $f)
>>
>> The result we get is correct:
>>
>> 120
>>

>> Cheers,
>> Dimitre
>>
>> On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 12:03 PM, Costello, Roger L. <costello@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Hi Folks,
>>>
>>> Is it possible to do recursion in an anonymous function?
>>>
>>> Example: I would like to implement an "until" function. It has three arguments:
>>>
>>> 1. p is a boolean function
>>> 2. f is a function on x