Re: [xsl] xsl compact syntax using xquery

Subject: Re: [xsl] xsl compact syntax using xquery
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 11:00:16 -0400
Mike S,

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 9:49 PM, Michael Sokolov
<msokolov@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I like to tell dot-and-curly-brace fans that XSLT syntax ends up as a
>> kind of "syntax coloring" for experienced users. We don't read the
>> tags any more: we can tell what's happening from scanning the match
>> patterns, select expressions, LREs, modes and a few other things; and
>> it turns out the verbosity of the XSLT tag set is weirdly conducive to
>> this kind of "in your head" compiling. Indeed, this verbosity may be
>> more apparent than real, since while XSLT claims screen space, the
>> list of possible elements in XSLT is actually quite short -- with the
>> result that for an experienced user, @match, @select and LREs really
>> jump out.
>
> I hear you, but it sounds to me like a post-hoc justification.  I really
> think I prefer the coloring to be stronger: I'd like the LRE's to look like
> XML and the rest to look like *code*.

Understood; nor do I mind XQuery or other syntax that takes this approach.

I also understand why you (or anyone) may take this remark as post-hoc
justification. However, it's not *intended* that way (at least if I am
in a position to judge my own intentions) so much as an observation
bearing on why XSLT's XML syntax doesn't bother some of us as much as
others might think it should.

Cheers, Wendell

XML | XSLT | electronic publishing
Eat Your Vegetables