Re: [xsl] XSLT Unit Testing and Coverage

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT Unit Testing and Coverage
From: "BR Chrisman brchrisman@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 07:11:38 -0000
On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 10:38 PM, Ihe Onwuka ihe.onwuka@xxxxxxxxx <

> On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 8:38 PM, Ihe Onwuka <ihe.onwuka@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 7:57 PM, Vasudev Kandhadai
>> vasu.kandhadai@xxxxxxxxx <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear All,
>>> is there a good reason to deploy a XSLT unit testing framework?
>>>

>> No.
>>

>>> I have never seen any serious XSLT dev env where the XSLT unit testing
>>> was either done religiously, or considered mandatory.  Other than a very
>>> religious Java development team with strict Junit set up with Maven etc,
>>> who have adopted XSLT into their dev env, who would now want to extend the
>>> same ideologies to the XSLT world?  I have personally never used or
>>> utilized practically any XSLT unit testing framework in any project and nor
>>> was there any requirement to do so...
>>>

>> Why is Java a valid reference point. It's a completely different language.
>>

> Right. This merits amplification. The phrase "Unit Test Frameworks"  has
> acquired in my view a specific connotation related to ideas from Test
> Driven Development. They are a creature that evolved from the procedural
> programming community to solve problems that arise during the development
> of procedural programs.
>
> XSLT done right is declarative. The programmer does not have the same
> level of control over what processing (and therefore what tests) gets done
> when. So before adopting a methodology founded on "Unit testing frameworks"
> the first question I would ask is - in XSLT what should constitute a unit -
> or to put it more finely what is the smallest component that should be the
> subject of a discrete testing effort.
>
> Is it a stylesheet. I don't think so, at least not if you are coding
> declaratively. How would I think about it. Well what is more useful on a
> bug report - that there is a bug on stylesheet X, or that  executing tests
> targeted at template Y in stylesheet X exposed a bug.  So I would say the
> focus on testing an XSLT program should be at the template rule level and
> if I were to adopt any sort of test driven methodology it might evolve
> around the concept of the template rule as a unit (with all that entails).
>  That however is  a big if.

If everything needed to test a particular template could be assembled, and
the template's name is passed in as initial template... then there's
mocking calls like the various input/output doc stuff... and parameters to
the template...  But it sounds like a lot of the tools out there do this
already, like: "show me only the nodes resulting from this template".

I can see how that might be useful... all my xslt projects have been
implemented as series of small stylesheets applied in a layering/pipeline,
so I'd generally achieve mostly the same thing by isolating a template (or
a few templates) in a particular layer/stage and using a 'tee' type
utility... (works for identity-based transforms).

I'm thinking for my next such project, having a stylesheet transform the
source stylesheet, adding a debug namespace and instructions to add debug
namespace elements to the result nodes of specific templates, so I can
track the output of those without having to isolate.