Re: [xsl] Replacing = with == and ===

Subject: Re: [xsl] Replacing = with == and ===
From: "Michael Kay mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2014 21:13:01 -0000
Thank you, I'm very well aware of XQIB, and the fact that they were able to
create it was one of the things that spurred me to create Saxon-CE, which
implements XSLT in the browser.

I think XSLT is much better suited for this purpose than XQuery, for a number
of reasons: the main task is transformation from XML to HTML; and as we have
shown with Saxon-CE the rule-based programming model extends well to handling
user interaction as well as XML processing.

Nevertheless we have found it hard to find the resources to invest in taking
Saxon-CE forward, so from that point of view Saxon-CE and XQIB suffer the same
problem. The main difficulty from our point of view is that everyone seems to
expect browser-based technology to be free, which makes it hard to find the
money needed to take it forward. A secondary difficulty is that the technology
used by both Saxon-CE and XQIB, namely the GWT Java-to-Javascript
cross-compiler, has technical limitations which mean the size of the product
will always be uncomfortably large. A native Javascript implementation would
get around that difficulty, but it's a very large investment with no promise
of making a return.

Michael Kay
Saxonica
mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx
+44 (0) 118 946 5893

On 4 Aug 2014, at 21:04, L2L 2L emanuelallen@xxxxxxxxxxx

> On Aug 4, 2014, at 3:11 PM, "Michael Kay mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx"
>

>>> Question:
>>>
>>> Why does it seem xslt is favorite over xQuery?
>>
>> You might get different answers on a different list.... But I do think it's
true that XSLT continues to have much wider usage than XQuery.

>> I think the reason for that is primarily that people want to do
transformation (which retains most of the information in a document, but in
different form) rather than query (which extracts small amounts of information
from a document).

>> Although XQuery is capable of doing transformation, XSLT is better at it
for two reasons:

>> (a) the built-in rule-based processing model using template rules
>>
>> (b) the customization capability provided by xsl:import
>>
>> neither of which have any parallel in XQuery.
>>
>> XQuery is much better at doing complex joins, but that's not the kind of
processing people are mostly doing.

>> Michael Kay
>> Saxonica
>>

> Thank you for the email.
>
> .... I.... If they are using xslt, than it's a large chance, that they are
using xQuery....

> I just want xqib revive!
>
> Look at it:
>
> Xqib:
>
>  <!DOCTYPE html>
page</title> <meta charset="UTF-8"/>

>  </head> <body> <h1>Onclick Event</h1>
> <input id="myButton" type="button" value="Click me"/>
> ----------------------------
> <!DOCTYPE html> <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";> <head>
>

>  </head> <body> <h1>Event Location</h1>
>  Click on one of the following words:
> For more example, please visit this link: http://www.xqib.org/js/
> LOOK AT IT!

> Wouldn't this be a great feature for xml native database to have....
>
> PLEASE CAN YOU EMAIL YOUR NAME AND MESSAGE IF YOU AGREE!  THAN I CAN SHOW IT
TO BASEX EXIST AND OTHER XML NATIVE DATABASE.

> They can't ignore all of us. We can demand it!
>
> Just think of it! You can use the same language to send a large fragment
document to the browser, than let it be hold their in memory, and when a query
is require, you can use xQuery in the browser to query it, avoiding making a
trip to the browser....

> Don't you see the benefit of having this in the browser through a XML native
database....

> If you do, please, put your email, name, and a message for this. I will
gladly post/send it to all xml native database that I can reach.