Re: [xsl] XPath to test that a middle name consists of a letter followed by a period and nothing else ?

Subject: Re: [xsl] XPath to test that a middle name consists of a letter followed by a period and nothing else ?
From: "Richard Fozzard richard.fozzard@xxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2016 17:45:17 -0000
Agreed: we should answer the OP's question with an appropriate regex
(which I think would just be " [a-zA-Z]\.", but I've not tested this in
XPath, and leave the details to the experts).

NOT Agreed: this isn't about political correctness, it's about software
design correctness. While not directly about XSL/XPath, many discussions
veer appropriately into whether a design will meet the desired use case.
And forcing a single character middle name -- as has been amply
demonstrated in previous posts -- would not even work if your intended
audience was upper-middle-class-American-white-males in your 200 home
gated community.

These lists are communities of humans -- real people -- and it's
entirely appropriate to point out a software design fail, as well as
provide explicit XSL/XPath advice.

Just my $0.02,
--R. Lane Fozzard III, BS, MS, MS, LOSA, aka "Rich"

--
Richard Fozzard, Computer Scientist
   Geospatial Metadata: http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/metadata/emma

Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES)
Univ. Colorado & NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information
151 Patton Ave, Room 468, Asheville, NC 28801
Office: 828-271-4920 Cell: 303-579-5615, Email: richard.fozzard@xxxxxxxx