Re: [xsl] Processing approach

Subject: Re: [xsl] Processing approach
From: "Joseph L. Casale jcasale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2017 13:15:59 -0000
From: Michael Kay mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2017 9:48 PM
To: xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Please show us some input and desired output that capture the essence of
the
> problem, and give enough information so we can see how one derives from the
other.
> Then show us your best attempt at solving the problem. Your current logic
sounds
> really contorted and you may find that people suggest tackling it in a
completely different way.

Hi Michael,
Sorry about the lack of detail. Given the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<root>
    <nodeA>
        <nodeB>
            <nodeC ID="foo" />
            <nodeC ID="bar">
                <!-- XSL processing adds nodes here. -->
            </nodeC>
            <nodeC ID="baz" />
        </nodeB>
    </nodeA>
    <nodeA>
        <nodeD>
            <nodeE />
        </nodeD>
    </nodeA>
</root>

I have a template that matches nodeC based on its ID, copies it contents and
appends child nodes.
Its at this time that much info gets derived which is useful elsewhere. Of
course I can use XPath in
another template and derive it all over again, however what I am after is to
simply insert a new node
in another position. The schema permits the second node I want to generate to
exist as a child of any
nodeA.

I will match on many IDs and encounter many scenario's where I end up
generating data used to
construct the new child elements appended to the nodeC elements whose ID is of
interest. Every
time that happens, I want to use this same info and insert other nodes as
children in any nodeA.

Thanks for the patience everyone,
jlc