Re: [xsl] is XPath 3.1 xml-to-json() function useful

Subject: Re: [xsl] is XPath 3.1 xml-to-json() function useful
From: "Martin Honnen martin.honnen@xxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2019 22:38:28 -0000
On 08.03.2019 23:17, Martin Honnen martin.honnen@xxxxxx wrote:
On 08.03.2019 23:07, Willem Van Lishout willemvanlishout@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
I've been experimenting with the xml-to-json function, but for some reason my output is escaped. Why is that?

Stylesheet:

B B B B xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"; xmlns:f="http://www.w3.org/2005/xpath-functions"; version="3.0">
B B B B <xsl:output encoding="UTF-8" method="json"/>
B B B B <xsl:template match="/">
B B B B B B B B <xsl:variable name="transformed">
B B B B B B B B B B B B <xsl:apply-templates select="programs"/>
B B B B B B B B </xsl:variable>
B B B B B B B B <xsl:value-of select="xml-to-json($transformed, map{'indent': true()})"/>

The function returns a string you can output as such with the xsl:output method="text", you have used "json" instead which then applies JSON escaping rules on the string you have.

You can use the "json" output method if your result is an XPath 3.1 value like an array or a map that can be serialized as JSON:

    xmlns:mf="http://example.com/mf";
    exclude-result-prefixes="#all"
	version="3.0">

<xsl:mode on-no-match="shallow-skip"/>

<xsl:output method="json" indent="yes"/>

  <xsl:function name="mf:apply-templates" as="item()*">
      <xsl:param name="input" as="item()*"/>
      <xsl:apply-templates select="$input"/>
  </xsl:function>

  <xsl:template match="programs">
      <xsl:sequence select="array { mf:apply-templates(*) }"/>
  </xsl:template>

  <xsl:template match="program">
      <xsl:sequence select="map { 'title' : string(@title) }"/>
  </xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

https://xsltfiddle.liberty-development.net/bFN1y94

Unfortunately XSLT 3 lacks an xsl:array instruction so I had to introduce that function on the XPath level to construct the array items.

If you use Saxon PE or EE you can use saxon:array instead.