Re: [xsl] What's the best feature in XSLT 3?

Subject: Re: [xsl] What's the best feature in XSLT 3?
From: "Michael Kay mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2019 07:37:20 -0000
I think it's useful to distinguish (a) features that appeal immediately to
existing users because they make it easier to do the things that you do a lot,
and (b) features that are more strategic in nature, making it possible to do
new things that you weren't doing before, or to get significant benefits (in
say productivity, performance, or maintainability) but which may be difficult
to adopt immediately because it needs a whole different approach.

expand-text, new operators, and things like contains-token() and xsl:iterate
definitely fall in the first category.

Streaming and packages definitely fall into the second.

Maps, JSON, fn:transform, fn:serialize, xsl:evaluate, and accumulators etc are
perhaps intermediate. You probably won't change your existing code to take
advantage of them, and you probably won't use them until the next time you
write a new stylesheet that's a bit more challenging than the ones you've
written before. As John Lumley noted, we couldn't have written an XSLT
compiler in XSLT without these features - but we managed to get by without
streaming and packages. In fact, we only realised after doing it quite how
much packages could have made the job easier.

Michael Kay
Saxonica