Re: [xsl] Converting XML into ODT document to print as paper

Subject: Re: [xsl] Converting XML into ODT document to print as paper
From: "Peter Flynn peter@xxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 10:20:39 -0000
On 30/09/2020 10:20, Michael Kay mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On 30/09/2020 09:57, Peter Flynn peter@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
BUTb&all these solutions depend on the Word file using Names Styles
consistently, and that's a human (editorial) requirement too.

The first two editions of my book [...] totally relied on authors using a closed/locked/shared template with fixed styles and macros.
[...] as the author you were completely constrained to use the fixed
styles.

This can be deeply frustrating for the author, but the publisher desperately (and I mean "in desperation") wants to stop the author doing a solo run on appearances which will all have to be re-done.

I used to explain to my academics what happened at the publishers, once the final copy of their book/article had been approved and sent in. In most cases, all the markup, in whatever language, so carefully and painstakingly added by the author (and in some cases by the editor too) would be ripped out right down to the bare metal, and the text sent to be put into a form their pipeline can accept. In some places this still happens, because it's cheaper than trying to fix problems in a system they don't have the relevant skills in.

You could negotiate changes with the editor (the templates could be
fine-tuned for each book if there were special requirements e.g. for
running heads) but you couldn't make them unilaterally.
You were very fortunate that Wrox understood the problem so well, and had the time and skills to make the changes.

[...] the Wiley process where the [...] final production work,
including indexing, was lost when you started work on the next
edition.

Some publishers understand Content, some don't.

It's amazing what you can do in Word with the right skill set and
with good processes.

You can definitely publish the entire document using Word and Save Asb&PDF but the battle against the software makes it a viable process only for those with the right skill set, and it may need a significant amount of reinventing of wheels compared with other routes b each of which has its own pros and cons.

Peter