Re: [xsl] user-defined XSLT functions and stylesheet variables?

Subject: Re: [xsl] user-defined XSLT functions and stylesheet variables?
From: "Liam R. E. Quin liam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2021 17:56:15 -0000
On Fri, 2021-06-18 at 17:42 +0000, David Birnbaum djbpitt@xxxxxxxxx
wrote:
> Dear XSLT-list,
>
> Is there agreement about Best Practice with respect to using
> stylesheet
> (global) variables inside user-defined functions?

Tommie once gave a talk about best practice considered hamrful... :)

You've identified some of the issues, but for me the most important
ones are this:
(1) locality of reference: can i understand thefunction without having
to look elsewhere?
(2) maintainability: how easy will it be to fix problems in this
function in the future, or for someone else to change it, perhaps to
workslightly differently on edge cases. Assume they are in a hurry.
(3) can i take the function and reuse it in another stylesheet later?

Overall the use of global variables is likely to be an impediment to
each of these.

Liam

--
Liam Quin,B https://www.delightfulcomputing.com/