[xsl] Functional Equivalent of strip-space on Collection Documents

Subject: [xsl] Functional Equivalent of strip-space on Collection Documents
From: "Don Smith dsmith_lockesmith@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 23:36:35 -0000
Answers to my question might go several rather different directions so I'll try and specify general scenarios vs. the specific scenario I'm most interested in.
Using: XSLT 2.0.
Goal: Use functional equivalent of strip-space on collection documents.
Perhaps I'm mistaken but using XSLT 2.0 I don't think there is a way to use <xsl:strip-space> on documents that are being processed in a collection. That's because strip-space applies only to the input document and, using 2.0, the collection will be processed not via the input document (which is merely a place holder) but via a variable. At least that's how I'm doing it now.
So, given all that, how would you implement a functional equivalent of strip-space on collection documents using XSLT 2.0 and a place-holder input document?
Perhaps there's a way to get all the unput documents via the input document (for example, using xi:include in the input document to reference the document corpus, but that's sub-optimal when you want to run a collection on a folder and potentially subfolders.
Thanks in advance,
Don