Re: [xsl] Functional Equivalent of strip-space on Collection Documents

Subject: Re: [xsl] Functional Equivalent of strip-space on Collection Documents
From: "Michael Kay mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 23:48:52 -0000
The XSLT 2.0 specification states, as regards xsl:strip-space, that it applies
to all source trees, and specifically:

For the purposes of this section, the term source tree means the document
containing the initial context node
<https://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/#dt-initial-context-node>, and any document
returned by the functions document
<https://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/#function-document>, doc
<https://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-functions/#func-doc>FO, or collection
<https://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-functions/#func-collection>FO. It does not
include documents passed as the values of stylesheet parameters
<https://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/#dt-stylesheet-parameter> or returned from
extension functions <https://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/#dt-extension-function>.

Michael Kay
Saxonica

> On 18 Feb 2022, at 23:36, Don Smith dsmith_lockesmith@xxxxxxxxx
>
> Answers to my question might go several rather different directions so I'll
try and specify general scenarios vs. the specific scenario I'm most
interested in.

> Using: XSLT 2.0.
>
> Goal: Use functional equivalent of strip-space on collection documents.
>
> Perhaps I'm mistaken but using XSLT 2.0 I don't think there is a way to use
<xsl:strip-space> on documents that are being processed in a collection.
That's because strip-space applies only to the input document and, using 2.0,
the collection will be processed not via the input document (which is merely a
place holder) but via a variable. At least that's how I'm doing it now.

> So, given all that, how would you implement a functional equivalent of
strip-space on collection documents using XSLT 2.0 and a place-holder input
document?

> Perhaps there's a way to get all the unput documents via the input document
(for example, using xi:include in the input document to reference the document
corpus, but that's sub-optimal when you want to run a collection on a folder
and potentially subfolders.