Re: [xsl] Unable to get Firefox to apply XSL

Subject: Re: [xsl] Unable to get Firefox to apply XSL
From: "Norm Tovey-Walsh ndw@xxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 08:22:25 -0000
"Dimitre Novatchev dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx"
<xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Maybe security is of higher importance than convenience?

Even if itbs not of higher importance to you, itbs certainly of higher
importance to the browser vendors.

This topic has come up a couple of times in the last 18 months or so.
Sometimes the solutions proposed are to turn off various security
features in the browser (Michaelbs pointed observations about security
not withstanding, this is the world we live in today) that prevent the
filesystem from being used to load code. It doesnbt surprise me that
those switches are being removed as the whole idea of turning of
security features in a tool that routinely surfs the public internet
terrifies me.

I have at least twice said I would write up an XML.com article about how
easy it is to use Docker containers to sort this problem out. I promised
myself just the other day that after the second Invisible XML article
was published, I would write the Docker one. Itbs on my list.

In the meantime, perform a few one-time setup activities:

1. Install Docker (docker.com). You donbt have to know anything about
containers or how they work or all the magic going on under the covers.

2. Navigate your way over to hub.docker.com and create an account.

3. Open up a shell window and run bdocker loginb. Enter your account
credentials. If you configured two-factor authentication (please do),
get yourself an access token (the dance is pull down the account label
in the upper right, choose Account Settings -> Security -> New Access
Token) for this step.

Okay. Thatbs all the setup. You only have to do that once.

Now if you want to browse some content thatbs in
/home/ndw/projects/alphaproject, open a shell window and run

  docker run -it --rm -p 8123:80 \
    -v/home/ndw/projects/alphaproject:/usr/local/apache2/htdocs \
    httpd:2.4

The first time you do this, there will be a lot of chatter about the
bits and pieces (blayersb) being downloaded for the http:2.4 container.
Subsequent runs wonbt have to do that and theybll start up very quickly.

Now navigate to http://localhost:8123/ and therebs your stuff. No muss,
no fuss. No web server to configure. No system service to run.

When youbre finished working on that project, hit ^C in the shell window
where you started the container. The container stops, is removed, and
goes away. Want to work on betaproject, do just what your intuition
tells you!

You donbt need to learn anything else about docker to repeat this
incantation for any directory you want to browse. You can make things a
bit more convenient for yourself by investing a tiny bit of extra effort
in something called bdocker composeb. Docker compose allows you to write
a description of the container so you donbt have to type that
complicated command line every time. In particular you donbt have to
type that great big long b-vb string to mount the directory containing
your files onto /usr/local/apache2/htdocs in the container.

HTH.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--