Re: [xsl] Do you run your XSLT code from a debugger? What debugger do you use?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Do you run your XSLT code from a debugger? What debugger do you use?
From: "Steven D. Majewski steve.majewski@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 15:20:55 -0000
I agree here. I do use Oxygen debugger a lot, but I use it mostly as a
shortcut b not stepping thru code, but clicking on output so Oxygen will go
to the template among a bunch of imported stylesheets that produces that
output. XSLT is usually pretty declarative and not difficult to reason about,
and the sort of debugging problems I usually have to deal with have more to do
with the uncertainty and variation of input document rather than uncertainty
about what the code is doing, and even testing doesnbt help if your
assumptions about input documents creep into your test cases. And even if I
test against a large corpus, I will eventually trip over something in the wild
that surprises me.
  I recall Oxygen has a capability to generate sample code from schemas, but I
havenbt used it in a long time: does anyone have any experience with using
that or some other method to generate a wide variety of valid documents for
stress testing ?  Of course, that wouldnbt solve everything: some of the
in-the-wild problems are invalid documents or semantic differences in encoding
choices and practices in a corpus of documents produced by a bunch of
different organizations with different or no best practice encoding guides.

> On Aug 23, 2022, at 11:01 AM, Eliot Kimber eliot.kimber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Ibm with MartinbI find the XSLT debugger in Oxygen to be less useful
than for other languages. This may in part be because I do a lot of my work in
DITA Open Toolkit which doesnbt lend itself to easy debugging but I also get
a lot of mileage out of using messages to see whatbs happening where.

> This is also true for my work with XQuery, whether in BaseX or MarkLogicbI
find it effective to just use messages to debug my code.

<https://twitter.com/servicenow> | YouTube
<https://www.youtube.com/user/servicenowinc> | Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/servicenow>

<xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx