Re: [xsl] Tools to Flatten a DTD

Subject: Re: [xsl] Tools to Flatten a DTD
From: "dvint dvint@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 20:53:52 -0000
Near and Far is the tool I wrote about. Especially great if you have to deal
with SGML dtds.Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: "Peter Flynn peter@xxxxxxxxxxx"
<xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Date: 5/24/23  1:32 PM  (GMT-08:00)
To: xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: Re: [xsl] Tools to Flatten a DTD
On 23/05/2023 19:41, Peter Flynn peter@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On 23 May 2023 15:19:39 <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I have a DTD with a bunch of external references. I need to modify
>> the DTD and distribute it to a client. Can you recommend any tools
>> for flattening a DTD?
>
> I think I documented one or more in my book on tools but I'm away
> from base for 24hrs. I'll check tomorrow.

I had a look :-)

> Mulberry uses Near and Far, but that is not available for purchase,

Oddly, although I mention loading a DTD from a flattened version in
Near&Far (p.173) I don't say anything about using Near&Far to do the
actual flattening. Debbie is well ahead of me here.

On p.177, the book says:

>> For reading existing DTDs, the solution is to bflattenb the DTD
>> with a program such as Richard Lightbs experimental NormDTD (see
>> this chapter) or James Clarkbs spam (see chapter 4), both of which
>> are included on the CD-ROM.
I have snipped out those pages at
http://xml.silmaril.ie/downloads/normdtd-spam.pdf

The ospam binary is still shipped in the OpenSP package.

NormDTD was DOS-only
(https://nl.ijs.si/et/talks/Eurolan/silSGMLpubSWedit.html#normdtd)which
presumably means it will be happy in a modern DOS emulator.

I do still have the CD-ROM is anyone wants a copy.

[Near&Far, quote Debbie]
 > and one fine day, they will change the Windows OS and it will stop
 > working.

You will still be able to install Win95 and then install NFD in it :-)
Meanwhile there is still a small market for a good schema visualiser of
the calibre of Near&Far. Nothing currently available comes anywhere near
IMNSHO.

Peter