Re: [xsl] Tools to Flatten a DTD

Subject: Re: [xsl] Tools to Flatten a DTD
From: "G. Ken Holman g.ken.holman@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 02:21:39 -0000
Folks, I'm blushing here at all of the accolades regarding Microstar
Near&Far.

Thank you, all, for the delightful comments and
the walk down memory lane of over 30 years ago.
It was my first "management only" project without
a hand in the actual coding. I came up with the
icons, symbols, and look and feel. A crack
development team did a wonderful job bringing the product to life.

It may interest you to know that the flattening
"feature" was actually a bug and brought about
the death of the product. Without a clear set of
end-user requirements and shared experience to
illuminate the issues for the development team,
the product as designed never preserved the
authored DTD and *always* flattened *all* of the
user's intricate efforts to edit a useful suite of DTD fragments.

In effect, the tool was read-only. The munged
output was useless to those who were properly managing DTD fragments.

Lesson learned on day 2 of the product release,
but nothing could be done in the time and
resources available to the small company (maybe
twelve people at the time?). The unfortunate
behaviour was baked into the design.

The product became a useful DTD viewer, but that
is all, and it wasn't enough to sustain as a product (or as a company).

Thank you, again, for the kind comments.

p.s. the product name was dictated by Microstar's
founder whose acquaintance with the surname
"Near" was in the Far East (Japan, I think). The
name meant a lot to our founder, and we were
stuck with trying to spin the name into something
meaningful for clients and for the technology. If
nothing else, it was memorable in its bizzareness.