Re: Do You Require Proof of Copyright for E-reserves?

Subject: Re: Do You Require Proof of Copyright for E-reserves?
From: "Diana Vogelsong" <dvogel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 16:40:49 -0500
In most cases we handle the permissions for our faculty.  We submit the
requests for permission electronically to the Copyright Clearance Center.
If permission is denied, then as we have time we follow up with copyright
holders.  This can be very time consuming, but most faculty don't want to
assume this responsibility.  We have a cap on the amount that we will spend
per course, after which the departments may contribute money.  Faculty are
only unhappy when we reach the cap.

Unlike the copyright fees for print materials, the e-reserve costs are all
over the map and some of them are exorbitant.  We were recently asked to
pay close to $700 to put three chapters of a book that we already own on
e-reserve for one semester!

In light of these fees which can render it virtually impossible to make
material available, we are looking at other options, including
e-coursepacks for purchase or parameters within which me might make use of
fair use or the TEACH Act.

Diana

Diana L. Vogelsong
Assistant University Librarian
American University Library
(202) 885-3236
dvogel@xxxxxxxxxxxx

                      Rosalind Tedford
                      <tedforrl@xxxxxxx        To:       "digital-copyright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <digital-copyright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
                      >                         CCUMC <ccumc-l@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                      Sent by:                 cc:
                      owner-ccumc-l@ias        Subject:  Do You Require Proof of Copyright for E-reserves?
                      tate.edu

                      01/31/2003 11:56
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      ccumc-l

We are looking at whether to have faculty sign a form stating they have
copyright permission for items on e-reserves used for more than one
semester or whether to require them to show proof they have this
permission.

I'd like to hear from schools who require the proof and know who secures
this proof, what forms you accept (email, letter, etc) and what, if any,
static you have had from faculty.

Thanks!

Roz

--
"Stupidity killed the cat, curiosity was framed."

Rosalind Tedford
Information Technology Center Manager
Wake Forest University
Phone: 336-758-5910