RE: Do You Require Proof of Copyright for E-reserves?

Subject: RE: Do You Require Proof of Copyright for E-reserves?
From: "John T. Mitchell" <John@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 09:50:08 -0500
You make a good point about taking a cautious approach.  Princeton is an
awful decision (though the case dealt more with the profit factor than
the dicta you quote), and the dissent certainly had the better argument,
in my view (something like (to roughly paraphrase) if a professor could
make a copy under fair use, it doesn't make it any less fair use that a
work-study student made a buck operating the photocopier).  From your
standpoint, it makes sense to assume there will be bad decisions, and
you don't want to be in the Princeton Univ. Press' shoes when that
happens.  Of course, whether enough is copied to impact sales is another
fair use factor.  My point was simply that if I were a professor, I
would not want to be placed in the position of having to "prove" to the
university that I had "permission from Congress" (i.e. under Section 107
of the Copyright Act), which requires a legal assessment of the facts,
and then find that the 6th Circuit disagreed with my assessment and the
school is looking to me for indemnification.  Better for me to rely on
the librarian's sound policy and procedural decisions on behalf of the
university than to place my retirement nest egg at risk.