Re: In The News/Penn State

Subject: Re: In The News/Penn State
From: "Intellectual Property Virtual Scholar" <ipscholar@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 16:31:56 -0500
Here is another news item about the students at Penn State and the
disconnection of their Internet services:

http://www.post-gazette.com/localnews/20030422pennstate0422p5.asp

It is nearly identical to the verion Olga circulated in an earlier
message.

The upshot: A major university is acting aggressively in reaction to
notices of infringement received from copyright owners.  The notice-and-
takedown provisions (Section 512) that were part of the DMCA created an
opportunity for owners to make their formal claims to service
providers.  The providers need to "expeditiously" remove or "disable
access" to the material in order to have the protection from liability
that the law offers.  We can see from the Penn State example that a
service provider is likely simply to disable the user's connection to
the network entirely in order to "disable access."  Consequently, the
user loses all access--even all clearly lawful uses.  According to the
news item, the students will regain access when any infringements are
removed.

The statute is filled with nuance, procedures, and protections, but the
practical reality is that we will often see it implemented with the
delicacy of a sledge hammer.

Kenny Crews
http://www.umuc.edu/distance/odell/cip/ip_scholar_crews.html