RE: pdfs?

Subject: RE: pdfs?
From: Kelly Jacobsma <jacobsma@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 16:51:04 -0500
This semester, we have brought up both electronic reserves and a course
management system on campus.  I have done a fair amount of investigating of
the topic and have come to the following conclusions:

1.  Each item to be placed on E-reserve or course management system should be
evaluated individually to determine if it is a fair use.  The most helpful
checklist I have found is one prepared by Kenneth D. Crews for the Copyright
Management Center at Indiana University.  The website appears to be down at
the moment but the checklist is also published in "Copyright Essentials for
Librarians and Educators" by Crew. American Library Association. Chicago:
2000.

2.  Another helpful site is the University of Georgia Office of Legal Affairs
Copyright Policy. Http://www.usg.edu/admin/legal/copyright.
They have a whole list of scenarios including the one you describe.
This is what they say:

Posting Copyrighted Article to Web Page

SCENARIO F: A professor has posted his class notes on a Web page available to
the public. He wants to scan an article from a copyrighted journal and add it
to his Web page.

QUESTION: Is this a fair use?

ANSWER: It depends. If access to his Web page is restricted, then this is a
fair use. If access is not limited, then this use is probably not a fair use.
No exclusively educational purpose can be guaranteed by putting the article on
the Web, and such conduct would arguably violate the copyright holder's right
of public distribution.

So our policy when we are putting things on E-reserves is to evaluate each
item for fair use and make sure the course page is password protected.

Sincerely,