RE: Original art work & its public display by owner on a web site

Subject: RE: Original art work & its public display by owner on a web site
From: "John T. Mitchell" <John@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 10:43:20 -0500
Ordinarily, using the images in the way you describe would require
permission, not as a matter of courtesy, but of copyright law.   That
is, placing the images on a website would infringe the right or
reproduction and of public display.  Nevertheless, those rights are
"subject to" the right to make fair use of the works, so the issue
becomes whether your use of the images on the website is fair use.

I suspect that if your use of the images involves high quality
reproductions, you may be looking for trouble.  If, on the other hand,
your use is more in line with offering a public catalog of the works
available in the collection, it is more likely to receive fair use
treatment.  See Kelly v. Arriba Soft (9th Circuit, July 2003) for a good
analysis and guide.  The fourth circuit recently took a dimmer view
where video clips of movies were being offered for video retailers to
advertise their collections, and a petition for certiorari of that case
is currently pending before the Supreme Court.

John
John T. Mitchell
http://interactionlaw.com
1-202-415-9213