Original art work & its public display by owner on a web site

Subject: Original art work & its public display by owner on a web site
From: clarkjc@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 17:20:31 -0500
Colleagues,

Another library colleague is at a small, private college that
owns a handful of original paintings. Some are by deceased
artists, the others by living ones that either do or do not
still exhibit on their own. None are difficult to contact.

The college wants to display images of these paintings they
own, on a web site related to their special library
collections.

At this point, my colleague's inclination is to contact the
painters, explaining the situation and formally asking
permission to use their paintings in this way.

I'm not sure of the legal issue involved that makes this the
correct move--beyond courtesy--or suggests that the college
library could go ahead and act without permission if they
wanted to.

Your advice would be welcome. I'm sure I'll learn something
(or be reminded of something I should know!) myself....

Jeff

Jeff Clark
Director
Media Resources MSC 1701