Re: Original art work & its public display by owner on a web site

Subject: Re: Original art work & its public display by owner on a web site
From: Bill Westwood <westwood@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 15:33:12 -0500
I read with interest your question and Mr. Mitchell's reply.  Kelly v.
ArribaVista and high or low resolution online reproduction notwithstanding,
unless there has been a written transfer of copyright, the college in
question owns only the physical artwork and not the rights (under copyright
law) to reproduce it, without permission from the creators.

The fair use provision provides protection for uses such as criticism,
comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship and research, viewed within
the parameters of four additional factors.  Even if the proposed use by the
college could be twisted around to somehow fit the true purpose of fair use,
(or even the Kelly v. ArribaVista decision) in a way to achieve legal
absolution, it still wouldn't make use without permission morally right.

As a practicing professional artist/illustrator, with over 30 years
experience and an equally long and abiding interest in copyright issues, I
don't understand why there would even be any question about simply
contacting the artists and formally requesting written permission to
reproduce their work in the manner described.  The reproduction rights
belong to the artists, not the college. At the same time, most creators I
know are happy to give permission for use of their work in a noncommercial
way, especially if it provides the work and the artist with additional
exposure.

William B. Westwood, M.S., CMI
Medical Illustrator
Westwood Medical Communications