Re: Original art work & its public display by owner on a web site

Subject: Re: Original art work & its public display by owner on a web site
From: clarkjc@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 16:38:40 -0500
Colleagues,

Thanks especially to John Mitchell, Reb Thomas and Bill
Westwood below, for the answers I received on and off list to
this question. Let me clarify a couple things, and muse a bit
further about this issue.

I can assure everyone that my query about whether it is
necessary to obtain permission to web-present the paintings
owned, was not with an eye to being cavalier about an
obligation. In fact, the college library in question doesnbt
plan to post images, of any quality, of its paintings if it
doesnbt get consent of the artists involved.

But I did take the case, as it came up, as an occasion to
puzzle over the copyright law in a form of expression I donbt
have much experience with as it transpires in the artistic
and commercial world.

Reb Thomas in particular suggested that the additional rights
of the copyright holderb-here, crucially the public display
and reproduction rightsb-are not normally granted as part of
an art purchase or an art gift, to an institution such as a
college.

Thatbs helpful. But what puzzles me, devilbs advocate style,
is the following. Keep in mind that the context is an
original work of art, a watercolor or oil painting. Each
artist involved certainly has/had a reputation, and perhaps
business to conduct on the reputationbs basis (or perhaps if
deceased the heirs do), and may or may not use the images of
the original in that business, whether through further sale
of copies or simply public display of their own.

But a couple questions (expressed at length):

1.	If rights for display and/or reproduction are not
normally granted when a painting is donated, commissioned or
sold to an institution b should the institution even have the
leeway to mount it in a physical public place to begin with?
Is it the more-expansive public display on the Internet that
places such display in questionb-and/or perhaps the
additional need to reproduce the work in order to make such
an electronic display? All of which would require, Ibd
assume, a still more solid bfair useb defense if one can be
argued.

2.	Title 17, section 106A
(http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/106A.html) details
rights for visual authors related to attribution and
integrity. These are a separate domain of rights under 106,
and are non-transferable in themselves (no matter who ends up
owning copyright to a work as well as a copy/original of the
workbs embodiment). OK.  This seems to me the only area of
American intellectual property law that explicitly
acknowledges an inherent moral dimension in creation that
derives from a way of thinking about the subject thatbs more
common in Europe.
  I had overlooked/forgotten about this vital subsection
earlier. But it leads me to wonder now: 106A *should* make a
without-permission, fair use defense even more difficult to
manage, shouldnbt it?  No matter what 106 rights were
transferred along with the purchase. The posting of low-
resolution images of the purchased artwork on an educational
web site might squeak by with a fair use justification, were
repro and display rights not transferred. But... doing so in
either case (rights or no rights transferred and just a FU
defense) might also have to overcome the objection that such
images are a bdistortionb of the original work under 106A(a)
(2) & (3)(A), if the artist were inclined to pursue it. At
least, as I read and think about the subsection.

Any further thoughts?

Jeff