RE: showing rental videos

Subject: RE: showing rental videos
From: "M. Claire Stewart" <claire-stewart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 14:20:50 -0600
I agree with the original assessment: as long as viewership is limited to students in the course, it is not a public performance. The distributors can put whatever they'd like into the scary language at the start of the tape, but there is clearly an exemption for face-to-face teaching, to say nothing of new exemptions for distance instruction under the TEACH act (though in the distance case the fact that it's a rental MIGHT be significant).

The amount of the work used is one of four fair use factors; there is no rule that says that if you're using the whole thing the use can NEVER be considered fair. One could reasonably say that that particular factor might weigh against you, however.

David Nimmer did a very interesting analysis of 60 key fair use cases and more or less concluded that it's a crapshoot.
Nimmer, David. "Fairest of them all" and other fairy tales of fair use. Law and Contemporary Problems. Winter/Spring 2003.
<http://www.law.duke.edu/shell/cite.pl?66+Law+&+Contemp.+Probs.+263+(WinterSpring+2003)>

Claire