Re: catalogue/book covers

Subject: Re: catalogue/book covers
From: John Ruttner <jruttner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 12:31:38 -0700
On Sep 22, 2004, at 8:33 AM, Ruth Roberts wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have been told that all catalogue or book covers are in the public
> domain.  We have been asked to provide photography of a catalogue whose
> main cover object is the property of another museum (overseas, huge,
> and
> difficult to get to correct contact people).  Anyone familiar with this
> type of request?
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Ruth V. Roberts
> Coordinator of Rights & Reproductions
> Indianapolis Museum of Art
> 4000 Michigan Road
> Indianapolis, Indiana 46208-3326
> USA
> Phone:  317-923-1331 ext. 171
> Fax:   317-926-8931
> Email:  rroberts@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi:
Interesting question --  I don't believe that all book
covers/catalogues ARE public domain, insofar as they may make use of
content (e.g.images) that are held under copyright . I think, the issue
is  dependent on what specific use is being made of the copy and by
whom . In your case that sounds like the documentation of an
event/display and certainly nothing that anyone would object to, but in
theory ( and a different context)  it could be used to  reproduce
images for commercial or at least less "cultural", non-profit, or
academic applications. In short, I believe you are ok in this instance
by virtue of Fair Use justification but not because of public domain.
If I am wrong in this interpretation, I 'd be very interested to find
out., so please let me know.

John Ruttner
Instructional Designer
Office for Distributed Learning
CSUSB

If you are a bore, strive to be a rascal also
so that you may not discredit virtue
                                                         G.B.Shaw