RE: Interlibrary loans from other institutions' electronic databases?

Subject: RE: Interlibrary loans from other institutions' electronic databases?
From: Barbara Fister <fister@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 11:15:01 -0500
At 08:54 AM 9-24-2004 -0500, Blobaum, Paul wrote:
John,

I don't know of one single library who provides Interlibrary Loan articles from their full text aggregated database subscriptions. <snip>

I do. As Edward Barrow pointed out, this is negotiable. A large STM digital bundle contract negotiated in my state included provision for fair use of those materials because the land grant institution who was acquiring it (using tax dollars) has the guts to insist on retaining its role as the state's research collection.

Personally, I'm following NIH's leadership on open access with great interest and hoping we are at a true watershed moment for renegotiating access to tax-supported research. If that part of the political economy of information is made more rational, it could have a beneficial effect throughout the industries. For example, if my book budget weren't continually eroded by my serials price increases, I could buy more books and that might mean fewer university presses closed their doors.

Barbara Fister