Re: digital-copyright Digest 25 Sep 2004 15:00:00 -0000 Issue 424

Subject: Re: digital-copyright Digest 25 Sep 2004 15:00:00 -0000 Issue 424
From: "Joseph J. Esposito" <espositoj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 11:24:19 -0700
It won't be negotiable for long.  Interlibrary loans of digital materials
(not hardcopy) raise the specter of a publisher only being able to sell a
single copy of a publication, with other copies being disseminated free of
charge.  I don't know of any institutions that would be willing to shoulder
the cost (500x?  2,000x?) of providing a subscription for the the entire
library community.  Widespread interlibrary loan will simply mean that many
things simply won't get published.

Joe Esposito