ILL rights in licensing

Subject: ILL rights in licensing
From: "Jean L. Cooper" <jlc5f@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 10:56:08 -0400
There are a lot of libraries that are negotiating ILL rights in licenses. At UVa, our contract negotiator(s) have required that our Fair Use and ILL rights be retained in all our licenses. For most of our electronic materials, we are allowed to lend articles by printing them first, then delivering them. (Therefore, we cannot simply save the .pdf file of an article and send it to the other library.)

However, the libraries of the VIVA consortium are currently, in cooperation with one publisher, doing a pilot test that allows direct lending of article files. This test has just started, so we don't have any data yet.

There is plenty of literature on how to do this. You might want to refer to the ARL Principles for Licensing Electronic Resources: http://www.arl.org/scomm/licensing/principles.html

Here's a summary of a recent conference on licensing of electronic resources:
http://www.arl.org/scomm/licensing/sum.html