Making copies of video from DVD and TEACH Act

Subject: Making copies of video from DVD and TEACH Act
From: Jeffrey La Favre <jlafavre@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 12:05:37 -0500
I am in the process of trying to understand the TEACH Act.
In particular, I am trying to decipher the meaning of
section 110(2)(D) of copyright law: "[The institution]does
not engage in conduct that could reasonably be expected to
interfere with technological measures used by copyright
owners to prevent such retention or unauthorized further
dissemination;"

It would be of great advantage to copy video from DVD in
order to make clips for streaming from a media server.
However, my understanding is that nearly all video on DVD
has some type of digital rights management (DRM). For
example,
Content-Scrambling System (CSS)is used to prevent the making
of a digital copy. It is not difficult to get around CSS
when importing the video into a computer for the purpose of
making a video clip.  But when this is done, the clip no
longer contains CSS. If I make a video clip in this manner,
am I engaging in conduct that  interferes with a
technological measure used by the copyright owner?  If so,
then it seems to me that very little copyrighted video (or
audio) can be provided to students according to the TEACH
Act.  Why? Because nearly all video and music on CD has some
form of DRM. And in order to make copies for streaming, one
will invariably remove DRM from the medium. So then the
TEACH Act is essentially worthless in its provisions to
allow
the streaming of video and audio?  What am I missing?