RE: video distribution via DVD to internet students

Subject: RE: video distribution via DVD to internet students
From: "John T. Mitchell" <John@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:26:08 -0500
Without addressing the substance of your question, allow me to address
an approach to it.  It appears that you have ywo question, the first is
whether the "reproductions" are lawful, and the second whether the
lawful reproductions may be distributed in the manner you describe.

Ordinarily, if the reproductions are lawful, you are free to distribute
them without the consent of the copyright owner (per Section 109), but
if the lawfulness is based upon a specific privilege such as fair use,
care must be taken that the subsequent distribution not undermine the
basis for the privilege for the reproduction.

And, of course, the question of whether a lawful reproduction carried
out by circumventing an access control measure of a "copy-protected"
video is in an area being hotly debated, and hotly litigated.  I'm not
sure there is a definitive answer yet.

John
John T. Mitchell
http://interactionlaw.com