Re: Question on sharing digital document delivery materials

Subject: Re: Question on sharing digital document delivery materials
From: Madelyn Wessel <mfw2y@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 12:24:58 -0400
I don't necessarily agree with your view; fair use does not die at the faculty door. I would not have any compunctions allowing an administrative committee of the university to share access to some articles for research, planning, analysis, or to review the writings of a candidate for a job. It's still the business of the university, a non-profit institution dedicated to teaching, research, scholarship.

I wouldn't provide ILL received articles to a for-profit business entity separate from the university; indeed, as a matter of contract most ILL lending provisions in journal licenses specifically prohibit lending to for-profit entities.

Best, Madelyn