Re: Image copyright question

Subject: Re: Image copyright question
From: Jeff Kazin <jkazin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 14:00:45 -0400
If a faculty member had posed this question to me I think I'd look at section 110 of the copyright law. It is legal, under educational use, to display images in a classroom setting for teaching purposes. The TEACH act extends the definition of classroom setting to include course management systems like Blackboard, WebCT, etc. Because the images are considered individual works, I'd apply this law to the images and say that putting pictures from a book (only the pictures) into a Blackboard class module would be fine under the TEACH ACT in section 110: Educational Use." Putting text from the book would require a fair use analysis, and if it failed then permission would be required. Also, this analysis does not extend to emails. Sending the images via email to many parties would also require a fair use analysis, and 15 images would likely require permission.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Jeff Kazin

Mackellar, Laurie A (Elizabethtown) wrote:
I know that the CONFU guidelines (which were never formally ratified)
allowed an instructor, under limited circumstances, to digitize up to 15
images from a single book and post them on a password-protected class
site. Many universities still use the CONFU guidelines in the absence of
anything else. Permission should be requested, and any fees paid for
repeat use

Laurie MacKellar
Public Services Librarian
Elizabethtown Community and Technical College
600 College Street Rd
Elizabethtown KY 42701
270.706.8439