Image copyright question

Subject: Image copyright question
From: Brenda Nelson <Brenda.Nelson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 08:45:46 -0400
Since my experience in dealing with image copyright issues is limited, I need some advice.

Multiple images (as many as 15) have been scanned from a single book. These images were then inserted into Word documents. The Word documents were then posted on Blackboard (course ware).

I understand that Fair Use is more limited for images than for a journal article, since an image is considered to be a work in and of itself. Do you have any suggestion as to how many images from a single book/article/etc (assuming that the rights holder is the same as the rights holder for the image) could be used once without getting permission?

Thanks in advance.

.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._

Brenda Nelson
Library Support Generalist
Dana Medical Library
Medical Education Center