Re: Recipes

Subject: Re: Recipes
From: John Ruttner <jruttner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 10:40:29 -0700
On Oct 4, 2007, at 9:03 AM, M. Robert Fraser wrote:

> One of our copyright attorneys at the University of Michigan has
> told me
> explicitly that he does not hold recipes to be copyright able.  He
> holds
> that it is just facts.
>
> --
> -bob
>
> M. Robert Fraser, Ph.D.
> Assistant Director, Mardigian Library
> 4063 Mardigian Library
> University of Michigan-Dearborn
> 4901 Evergreen Road
> Dearborn, MI 48128-2406
> Tel: 313-593-3740  FAX: 313-593-5478
> http://library.umd.umich.edu

An interesting point, but I'm curious how this would differ from a
computer program.... Since the latter IS copyrightable but can be
argued to be essentially just "facts".
If the argument is that a program is "creative" or that it has
commercial value then the same applies to a recipe.  But that in a
sense misses a basic point anyway,
which is that a recipe IS copyright protected indirectly as we can
see in the Copyright Office's own  words:

	Mere listings of ingredients as in recipes, formulas, compounds or
prescriptions are not subject to copyright protection.
	However, where a recipe or formula is accompanied by substantial
literary expression in the form of an explanation or
	directions, or when there is a combination of recipes, as in a
cookbook, there may be a basis for copyright protection.

In other words, the copyright or its violation lies in the
application/use  of the "facts" .

John

John Ruttner
Senior Instructional Designer
Office of Distributed Learning
CSUSB

If you are a bore, strive to be a rascal also
so that you may not discredit virtue
                                                         G.B.Shaw