Re: Recipes

Subject: Re: Recipes
From: "Scott W. Lee, MSLS" <slee@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 12:49:14 -0700
According the Title 17, Chapter 1, Sec. 102 (b) of the US Code:

In no case does copyright protection for an original work of
authorship extend to any idea, procedure, process, system, method of
operation, concept, principle, or discovery, regardless of the form in
which it is described, explained, illustrated, or embodied in such work.

Recipes are generally considered to be a process or procedure and,
therefore, not copyrightable.  This also applies to perfumes and
fashion design which is why branding is so important in both of those
industries.

Scott W. Lee, MSLS
Assistant Professor of Library Studies
slee@xxxxxxx