Re: Recipes

Subject: Re: Recipes
From: John Ruttner <jruttner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 13:28:39 -0700
On Oct 4, 2007, at 12:49 PM, Scott W. Lee, MSLS wrote:

> According the Title 17, Chapter 1, Sec. 102 (b) of the US Code:
>
> In no case does copyright protection for an original work of
> authorship extend to any idea, procedure, process, system, method of
> operation, concept, principle, or discovery, regardless of the form in
> which it is described, explained, illustrated, or embodied in such
> work.
>
> Recipes are generally considered to be a process or procedure and,
> therefore, not copyrightable.  This also applies to perfumes and
> fashion design which is why branding is so important in both of those
> industries.
>

> Scott W. Lee, MSLS
> Assistant Professor of Library Studies
> slee@xxxxxxx
> 661-722-6546
> L203
> 3041 W Avenue K
> Lancaster, CA  93535

Again, I think that misses the point that the form is
copyrightable.... the book, illustration, photograph, computer
program and - under certain conditions, as demonstrated by John
Mitchell - the language used/created to define the idea, procedure,
etc. is indeed protected.

John

John Ruttner
Senior Instructional Designer
Office of Distributed Learning
CSUSB

If you are a bore, strive to be a rascal also
so that you may not discredit virtue
                                                         G.B.Shaw