Archive photocopying/Document Delivery

Subject: Archive photocopying/Document Delivery
From: deg farrelly <deg.farrelly@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 18:56:36 -0700
This question may be way off topic for this list.  IF so, I will appreciate
comments on where better to direct the inquiry.

I am writing in regard to a non-profit arts organization that operates in
New York City:  Origami USA.  As the name states this is a organization
devoted to the art and craft of paper folding.

The organization maintains a research collection of origami books (diagrams
for the reproduction of folded models) in its NYC office, in the American
Museum of Natural History.  OUSA also maintains a books by mail Lending
Library, which I manage from Phoenix. The board of directors is currently
debating the extent to which the NYC collection can be made more accessible
to its members.

There are hundreds of books in the collection.  Many, perhaps most, are out
of print or not readily available in the retail market (convention programs,
other organizations9 newsletters, and of course books in many non-english
languages)  On rare occasion the organization has loaned a book through ILL,
but while many of the books in the collection have records in WorldCat, the
organizations holdings are not listed there.

Traditionally, the organization has taken a strict stance on copyright,
arguing that duplication of diagrams for teaching, etc. can be done only
with the permission of the model designer and the diagrammer (not always the
same person).  One of the board members was flabergasted to learn (in
response to a question posed to me) that libraries, both public and
academic, routinely provide unmoderated self-service photocopying equipment

So my questions are:

To what extent can the organization offer 3document delivery2 photocopies or
scans, of diagrams from the books in its archive?
What are the pre-requisites for the holdings to be deemed a 3library2
What are the limits on what the org can charge the membership for providing
such copies?
Are there provisions/requirements for maintaining records of what is
copied/delivered.
Is there a general manual of guiding principles/regulations for Document
Delivery.

Whew.... I realize this is a lot to ask....

My background as a librarian is in media, not ILL and/or Document Delivery,
so I am exceptionally appreciative of any an all responses to these
questions.  Again, if there is a more appropriate forum to direct these
questions, I will appreciate that lead.

--
deg farrelly, Associate Librarian
Arizona State University at the West campus