Re: Journal article question

Subject: Re: Journal article question
From: Kevin L Smith <kevin.l.smith@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 11:15:57 -0400
Jodi,

The report issued in March by the Section 108 Study Group contains a good
summary of the section 108 exceptions for library preservation and ILL.
The report is quite long, but if you read those sections dealing with ILL
(called exceptions for users), you will get a good overview of the state
of the law.  Do remember, as you read, that the study group was unable to
reach agreement on any proposals to change the law regarding ILL, so read
it for an overview of the current situation, including the disagreements,
but not as a prescription for how things might change.

The report is available from http://www.section108.gov/.

Kevin L. Smith, J.D.
Scholarly Communications Officer
Perkins Library, Duke University
PO Box 90193
Durham, NC  27708
919-668-4451
kevin.l.smith@xxxxxxxx
http://library.duke.edu/blogs/scholcomm/

"Jodi Poe" <jpoe@xxxxxxx>
07/23/2008 11:09 AM

"Gkh" <gharper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Kevin L Smith"
<kevin.l.smith@xxxxxxxx>
cc
"Barbara Fister" <fister@xxxxxxx>, <digital-copyright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject
Re: Journal article question

Thank you both for the clarification. I was only looking at fair use. I
don't
work in our ILL Department, so I am not as familiar with the rules,
guidelines, etc. Do you have any suggestions on where I should look to
become
familiar with those sections of the copyright law? Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jodi W. Poe
Associate Professor, Distance Education/Electronic Resources Manager
Houston Cole Library
Jacksonville State University
700 Pelham Road North
Jacksonville, AL  36265-1602
TEL: (256) 782-8103
FAX: (256) 782-5872
Email: jpoe@xxxxxxx

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter
and
those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss