RE: Multiple copies of play (drama) scripts on Reserve

Subject: RE: Multiple copies of play (drama) scripts on Reserve
From: "Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 10:08:53 -0500
Since you say "multiple copies" I have to assume this is physical reserves,
not electronic. And if these are all original physical volumes that the
library or faculty member legally owns, then there's no reason you can't put
as many as you want on reserve in as many locations on campus as you want.
(For example, during a one-campus-one-book program recently, we purchased and
placed on reserve about 25 copies of one book. Our textbooks-on-reserve
program includes multiple copies of the same textbook in multiple branches.)

Now if you are talking about photocopies of one original item, that's
different and you get into needing permission.  But why bother with that?
Students can make their own photocopies of the original, and that's out of our
hands.

(It sounds like this professor is expecting students to get together and do
group readings in different libraries -- hope he's talked to someone about
group study rooms!)

Janet Brennan Croft
Associate Professor
Head of Access Services
University of Oklahoma Libraries
Bizzell 104NW
Norman OK 73019
405-325-1918
Fax 405-325-7618
jbcroft@xxxxxx
http://libraries.ou.edu/
Book Review Editor of Oklahoma Librarian
http://www.oklibs.org/oklibrarian/current/index.html
"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the rising ape meets
the falling angel." -Terry Pratchett