Re: information regarding copyright of photographs in other countries

Subject: Re: information regarding copyright of photographs in other countries
From: Kevin Hawkins <kevin.s.hawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 17:31:45 +0000
I agree with all of the corrections Kevin Smith offered but will add a few things.

I want to reiterate that we need to distinguish between copyright in the photographic image (the creativity involved in choosing the camera angle and light exposure) and copyright in any other works that might be portrayed in the photographic image (like a piece of architecture or, possibly in the case of Egypt[1], a work of cultural heritage).

US citizenship does not guarantee copyright protection to works taken abroad by US citizens. If a US citizen is resident abroad and first publishes the work abroad, US copyright protection would not extend to the works. (See Copyright Circular 1 from the US Copyright Office.) However, you're talking about publishing them in a US institutional repository, so US copyright law determines what is legal to publish in that repository.

My only concern in this case is with any photographs of works of architecture. If any of these are protected by copyright in a country with which the US has treaty relations, they are likely also protected in the US. There's a remote possibility she would be found in a US court to have infringed on the copyright in such a work, assuming the architect (or other rightsholder) bothered to bring suit in the US.

I am not an attorney, so this does not constitute legal advice.

Kevin Hawkins

[1] http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7160057.stm