Re: information regarding copyright of photographs in other countries

Subject: Re: information regarding copyright of photographs in other countries
From: Kevin L Smith <kevin.l.smith@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 16:09:13 -0500
Regarding a photograph of an architectural work that is itself protected
by copyright, we should recognize that U.S. law provides an explicit
exception for that situation in section 120 of the Copyright Act (Title
17).  The exception permits that distribution and public display of photos
taken of a protected work of architecture that has been built as long as
that building is "normally visible from a public place."  Under the rule
of national treatment, it seems that that exception would permit a US
photographer to display her photos on a US server; the exclusive right in
the foreign works (of architecture) is limited in the US in just the same
way as it is for US works.

Kevin

Kevin Hawkins <kevin.s.hawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
02/03/2010 12:33 PM

Kevin L Smith <kevin.l.smith@xxxxxxxx>, digital-copyright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Marsha Zavar <mlzavar@xxxxxxx>, "'Deanne Peterson'" <dmpeters@xxxxxxx>
Subject
Re: information regarding copyright of photographs in other    countries

I agree with all of the corrections Kevin Smith offered but will add a
few things.

I want to reiterate that we need to distinguish between copyright in the
photographic image (the creativity involved in choosing the camera angle
and light exposure) and copyright in any other works that might be
portrayed in the photographic image (like a piece of architecture or,
possibly in the case of Egypt[1], a work of cultural heritage).

US citizenship does not guarantee copyright protection to works taken
abroad by US citizens.  If a US citizen is resident abroad and first
publishes the work abroad, US copyright protection would not extend to
the works.  (See Copyright Circular 1 from the US Copyright Office.)
However, you're talking about publishing them in a US institutional
repository, so US copyright law determines what is legal to publish in
that repository.

My only concern in this case is with any photographs of works of
architecture.  If any of these are protected by copyright in a country
with which the US has treaty relations, they are likely also protected
in the US.  There's a remote possibility she would be found in a US
court to have infringed on the copyright in such a work, assuming the
architect (or other rightsholder) bothered to bring suit in the US.

I am not an attorney, so this does not constitute legal advice.

Kevin Hawkins

[1] http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7160057.stm