Re: digital-copyright Digest 9 Nov 2010 16:00:00 -0000 Issue 1028

Subject: Re: digital-copyright Digest 9 Nov 2010 16:00:00 -0000 Issue 1028
From: "Bryan M. Carson" <bryan.m.carson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 11:08:41 -0600
Melissa,

Peter Jaszi and the Center for Social Media at American University have
created a series of Codes of Best Practices in order to establish
standards for Fair Use. They also have links to Best Practice codes from
other organizations. Since the codes are not all collected on one page,
I've compiled a list with URLs below:

  * Best Practices in Fair Use of Dance-related Materials
    http://www.centerforsocialmedia.org/fair-use/related-materials
    /codes/best-practices-fair-use-dance-related-materials

  * The Code of Best Practices in Fair Use for Media Literacy Education
    http://www.centerforsocialmedia.org/fair-use/related-materials
    /codes/code-best-practices-fair-use-media-literacy-education

  * Code of Best Practices in Fair Use for Online Video
    http://www.centerforsocialmedia.org/fair-use/related-materials
    /codes/code-best-practices-fair-use-online-video

  * Code of Best Practices in Fair Use for Open CourseWare
    http://www.centerforsocialmedia.org/ocw

  * Code of Best Practices in Fair Use for Scholarly Research in
    Communication
    http://www.centerforsocialmedia.org/fair-use/related-materials
    /codes/code-best-practices-fair-use-scholarly-research-communication

  * Documentary Filmmakers' Statement of Best Practices in Fair Use
    http://www.centerforsocialmedia.org/fair-use/best-practices
    /documentary/documentary-filmmakers-statement-best-practices-fair-use

  * Society for Cinema and Media Studies' Statement of Best Practices in
    Fair Use in Teaching for Film and Media Educators
    http://www.centerforsocialmedia.org/fair-use/related-materials/codes
    /society-cinema-and-media-studies-statement-best-practices-fair-use-
    [Note that there is a dash at the end of the URL; without that dash,
    it won't work]

  * Society for Cinema and Media Studies' Statement of Fair Use Best
    Practices for Media Studies Publishing
    http://www.centerforsocialmedia.org/fair-use/related-materials
    /codes/society-cinema-and-media-studies-statement-fair-use-best-practices-
    [Note that there is a dash at the end of the URL; without that dash,
    it won't work]

Bryan M. Carson

--
Bryan M. Carson, J.D., M.I.L.S., Ed.D.
Special Assistant to the Dean for Grants & Projects/

1906 College Heights Blvd. #11067
Bowling Green, Kentucky  42101-1067
Phone: 270-745-5007; Fax: 270-745-2275bryan.carson@xxxxxxx | bryan.m.carson@xxxxxxxxx
All original content copyright Bryan M. Carson

Levine, Melissa wrote:

  Hi Claudia - I think you answered your own question.

  I'm hoping to work next semester on a simple guide to getting music rights for
  university environments for our website- is anyone aware of such a guide.
  Very very simple so students and faculty feel some confidence in using it.

  Thanks -Melissa Levine

  --
  Melissa Levine
  Lead Copyright Officer