"stored in a retrieval system"

Subject: "stored in a retrieval system"
From: "Funke, Rebecca S." <rsfunke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 21:44:05 +0000
Good afternoon,
I have a question about this phrase.  It is a phrase I haven't seen before but
when I google it, I see lots of folks are using it.  I'm just not sure exactly
what it means or is referring to.  Is it referring to electronic retrieval
only?  The document I have is paper and reads as follows:

No Part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system,
or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical,
photocopying, records, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of
the publisher.

A faculty member has requested this be placed on reserve (paper) but I'm
curious as to the extent of the meaning of 'retrieval system'.

Thoughts?

Rebecca Funke
Director of Library Resources
Des Moines Area Community College
2006 S. Ankeny Blvd.
Ankeny, IA 50023
515.964.6328
rsfunke@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:rsfunke@xxxxxxxxx>

"What a school thinks about its library is a measure of what it thinks about
education."
~ Harold Howe, former U.S. Commissioner of Education